Pages

Monday, August 5, 2013

First Sunday

Well, my first Sunday as Primary President was mostly a success.  A couple of glitches occurred with timing issues, and I lost the kids' attention the last 5 minutes of Sharing Time.  But overall, we made it!

 * ~ * ~ * ~ *

What I learned last week was that it really stresses me out when someone pushes my boundaries.  You'd think that would be an obvious piece of knowledge, but it was news to me.  So, here's what happened.  I got a phone call on Monday and was informed of several things that this individual was expecting me to do.  That shouldn't have caused too much stress but the children were running around and crying for dinner which was on the stove cooking and Nate had just arrived home.  I did NOT have time then for a 20 minute phone call.  So, rather than ask if we could have the conversation later, I just stood there and took it all.  Then I hung up the phone and cried.  I felt alone and useless and overwhelmed and harassed.  Needless to say, I wasn't very polite to my family.

Things improved after dinner when we went to the Draper Temple for family night.  I apologized to everyone, and we discussed the blessings of the temple.  Later, Nate and I dissected what had set me off.  I don't mind doing things for others, or completing what I'm supposed to do.  What I DON'T like is for someone to assume that I'll do whatever they ask--without asking.  That's the Boundary that was crossed.

So, how am I going to prevent that from happening again?  I don't know.  But I do know how to recognize it after it happens.  I think I just need to be aware of it to begin with, and move on from there.

2 comments:

  1. We must have inherited this from Mom...the inability to say "no." Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know that it's an inability, necessarily. I think that I just got sideswiped with this phone call. I've gotten much better over the years in realizing what I can and can't do--when given a choice.

    ReplyDelete