Pages

Saturday, March 21, 2020

Social Distancing Week 1

2020 will go down in history as a defining point for this generation.  And not due to some grand event like a putting a man on the moon or a tragic event like 9/11.  Rather this historic event is due to a microscopic pathogen known as the corona virus or Covid-19.  While the virus started off in China in January, it has traveled across the world, affecting millions, and even killing others with previous health complications.

In Utah, we started to see effects of the virus as school events began to be postponed or even canceled.  Dances, science fairs, sports, and other activities moved to online venues, when possible. 
Libraries and other public building closed also due to the virus.  Stores limited their hours of operation, and provided special hours for the elderly.  Toilet paper, cleaning wipes, tissues, hand sanitizer, flour, sugar, canned beans, rice, and other staples vanished from the shelves in a matter of minutes.  A rush at the grocery store meant that I spent a hour in line that wrapped around the inside of the story to get 2 gallons of milk and a pack of diapers.  Thank heavens for food storage! I think that the epidemic finally felt real to me personally when we moved from having Church as a congregation to hosting our own Sacrament Meetings in our home.  While very spiritual (and much shorter) than the 2-hour block, I miss the interaction with my friends and neighbors.

The state of Utah issued a "soft closure" for all school starting on Friday, March 13th due to the corona virus called Covid-19.  (unlucky day?)  This meant that all schools were closed for students, while teachers would work either from home or at a mostly empty building.  Our district decided, since we were so close to the end of the term, to make the 2 weeks review only and allow students the opportunity to fix any/all low scores in their grade.  As teachers, we quickly put together a review packet for those who needed it, and changed all the deadlines for our online assignments.  While this was helpful for students, it caused a lot of extra work for teachers as we now had to accept missing/late work from January.  Yikes!  But we got through it.  Teachers also learned how to host video meetings through Google Meets and Zoom, and all the joys and surprised that come through that.  I am very grateful that I have worked so hard the last 5 years to understand the finer details of Canvas, which is our district's online learning platform.  Because of that understanding, my students have had a much easier time transitioning to completing online reviewing.  In two weeks, we'll see how the online learning of new material goes.

Wednesday, March 18th was supposed to the first day that students got online to start their review material.  And while that happened, at 7:09 am, a 5.7-magnitude earthquake hit the Wasatch Front.  It felt and sounded like a large snow-plow was driving down the street.  But the house continued to shake for over 30 seconds scaring my kids and myself.  Once everyone was calmed down, we checked in with Nate at work, family throughout the state, and neighbors.  Everyone was okay, just shaken up (pun intended.)  There were several aftershocks recorded throughout the day and coming weeks, but we only felt the 4.2-magnitude one around 1 pm--nap time.  Because of this, my two youngest have struggled with nap time and bed time ever since.  But we'll get through it.
 
For online learning for my children, they have also spent time at home with Nana and Mom going over old assignments and exploring their many digital apps (most of which I have ignore to this point in the year...no longer.)  I have also issued my two oldest a daily Lego challenge.  They were excited about it first, but now it seems like just a chore.  I'll have to see what I can with that.

Before we got too serious with our social distancing, we helped my parents with their kitchen remodel.  In these pictures, we are helping to take the old hard-wood floor boards to the dump.  Nate decided to move his truck closer so he could just chuck the boards over the fence into the back of his truck.  After seeing this happen, my mom said, "Be careful!  Don't hit your window!"  And then CRASH!  Right through the back window went the next boards.  Oh well!  



I think one of the things that is so difficult about social distancing is that EVERYTHING is closed.  (As it should be.)  I miss the library.  I miss being able to go food shopping at 9 pm after the kids are in bed.  I miss window shopping at an actual store instead of online shopping for everything.   I'm going to miss getting my hair done in a couple of weeks.  I miss seeing my friends and being able to go out to lunch (inside a restaurant) and getting pedicures.   I miss seeing my extended family in person and giving them hugs.  I miss 2nd Sunday and 3rd Sunday family dinners.

I know that social distancing is necessary to slow the spread of the Covid-19 virus, but it's hard to be home ALL THE TIME.

No comments:

Post a Comment