Pages

Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Blogging

I recently watched the movie Julie/Julia for the umpteenth time, and thought "I should blog more."  Then today I wasted time looking at what other math teachers around the country blog about, and again I thought "I should blog more."  I already spend a lot of time thinking about math, and teaching, and my students, and the teachers at my school, and education, and the changes occurring in the district, and politics about education, and the common core, and ....

So why don't I blog more?  Well, the easy excuse is that I'm too busy doing all the above plus being a mom, and wife, and primary teacher, and piano teacher, and choir pianist, and....  And then I want to sew Halloween costumes, and finish painting the living room, and clean the refrigerator, and organize the craft room, and finish scrap-booking, and...

But in the end, those are just excuses--good ones--but excuses no the less.  I recently listened to a podcast on time management (while trying to multi-task...go figure), and the speaker mentioned that he always reserved the last 5-15 minutes of his work day to reflect on the day and organize things for the next day.  That way he could go home and say "this is what I did today" rather than "I was busy all day, but I don't know that I accomplished anything."  I already do something similar at work, but what if I used blogging to help decompress what I do at home?  I often wonder what I do once I get home from work.  I mean, I cook dinner, play with the kids, try to pick up the house, and spend time with my husband.  But one day often melts into another and I can't really say what made this day unique, special, or fulfilling.

I like this.  Even writing the couple of paragraphs that I have makes me realize how much I miss LiveJournal and how lacking Facebook is.  (Though it is cool that 1 BILLION people now have a Facebook account.  My husband has two.)  I miss being able to just write and think and vent and ramble.  Lots of rambling going on--and not very grammatically correct.  Oh well.  I guess this is what people once used journals and diaries for.  But I've never been good at that.  Writing in pen/pencil is too slow and I think always felt permanent.  Where as I can edit my typing quickly and delete what I don't link.  (This, of course, is ignoring the fact that nothing published online is ever private again.)

So, rather than just rambling, although rambling is fun, HERE'S my action plan.

*A*C*T*I*O*N* *P*L*A*N*  (The stars make it look cooler, right?)
After the kids have gone to bed, and Nate is working on school work, I will decompress on Blogger each night.  My goal is to accomplish this for ONE WEEK!  After a week, I'll reevaluate and decide if it's worth the effort.  I'll probably need some reinforcement, so comments, texts, phone calls, or even live interaction would all be appreciated.

Here we go!

Edited to Add:  After spending 30 minutes writing this post, I accidentally deleted it.  The action plan was almost already stumped before it began.  Luckily, brilliant people have posted strategies on recovering post.  Thank you much, random internet genius!

3 comments:

  1. You can do it! I was just looking at how long it has been since you last posted and I'm glad you're ready to update again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! I like comments and support.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think its a good idea also. decompressing is important. have the house cleaned up though because there still is nothing worse than yesterday's chores running into today's. My idea of decompressing is my bed and a good book. Now if I could just get the boys in bed before me. Love you

    ReplyDelete