Pages

Saturday, March 20, 2021

Personal Egg and Sausage Pizzas

So much potential, and it just didn't pay off for me...but the family liked it.  I found this recipe in the mymagzine that was mailed to my house from Smith's.


I've recently discovered naan flatbread.  I like to eat it warmed up with a bit of butter.  Or I've used the little rounds of naan bread to make mini pizzas for my kids with spaghetti sauce, mozzarella cheese, and fresh basil.  But this recipe was about Breakfast for Dinner.

The first thing I would say is LINE THE COOKIE SHEETS WITH PARCHMENT.  The flatbread stuck to the pan and the egg mixture baked onto the pan.  Clean up was awful.  The hash browns didn't add a lot of flavor and I wonder if baking them before (or using Alton Brown's recipe) would make a difference.  I bought and cooked sausage links and cut them up instead of pre-cooked sausage patties to crumble.  I think patties would make more sense and be easier to sprinkle across the surface of the pizzas.  I shredded my own cheese instead of buying the finer shredded store bought stuff.  I think a finer shred would act as a barrier to the egg mixture better than what I did.  I didn't dice the tomatoes small enough, but they lost the fresh tomato taste and were really yummy being roasted (yes, this is coming from someone who doesn't like tomatoes).

All these good ingredients ended up for me with a bland taste and not worth the effort.  (A bland quiche is what it reminded me of when I was aiming for Christmas Casserole.)  However, the kids liked it, and Nate ate two full flatbreads.  Maybe with a bit of practice, I can get this one to work.




No comments:

Post a Comment